The City of La Palma is required to have a Housing Plan pursuant to the California Government Code and update it every seven years. Our Housing Plan identifies specific actions the City will take to implement the goals and policies of the Housing Element. Our Housing Plan must accomplish the following:
- Provide adequate sites to achieve a variety and diversity of housing types.
- Facilitate the development of affordable housing stock.
- Promote equal housing opportunity.
- Remove constraints to affordable housing development.
- Address, and if necessary, improve the existing affordable housing.
Below are the housing programs that assist with the aforementioned goals and policies.
Housing Programs and Action Plan Affordable Housing
The City’s 13 housing programs for the planning period spanning January 1, 2021, to October 1, 2029, are described below.
- Section 8 Rental Assistance
- Funding for Preservation and Rehabilitation of Affordable Housing
- Mortgage Assistance Certificate Program
- Mortgage Credit Certificate Program
- Reverse Mortgage Program
- Section 202 Elderly or Handicapped Housing
- Home Spotlight Award Program
- Emergency Shelters, Low Barrier Navigation Centers, Transitional and Supportive Housing, and Agricultural Employee Housing
- Density Bonus
- Residential Land Use Designations and Controls
- Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
- Reasonable Accommodation for Persons with Disabilities
- Facilitate Housing Development to Accommodate Regional Needs
Looking for Affordable Housing?
Orange County Community Services maintains a comprehensive list of Affordable Rental Properties by City called the "Affordable Rental Housing List." This is not a listing of vacancies but rather a list of rental housing units that are deed restricted to provide affordable units.
If you are homeless and need assistance please contact the OC Housing & Community Development to see what assistance may be available for you and your family.